Friday, March 5, 2010

Tonight: A 1958 Classic


"Once upon a time, on the north shore of Long Island, some 30 miles from New York, there lived a small girl on a large estate. The estate was very large indeed and had many servants. There were gardeners to take care of the gardens, and a tree surgeon on a retainer. There was a boatman to take care of the boats: to put them in the water in the spring, and scrape their bottoms in the winter. There were specialists to take care of the grounds: the outdoor tennis court and the indoor tennis court, the outdoor swimming pool and the indoor swimming pool. . . Also on the estate, there was a chauffeur by the name of Fairchild, who had been imported from England, years ago, together with a new Rolls Royce. Fairchild was a fine chauffeur of considerable polish, like the eight cars in his care, and he had a daughter by the name of Sabrina. . ."


The Plot: A playboy becomes interested in the daughter of his family's chauffeur. But it's his more serious brother who would be the better man for her.

Nominated for 6 Acadamy Awards including Best Director, Best Actress, and Best Cinematogrophy, Sabrina was everything romantic and wonderful. And the music! It's so charming! I love Humphrey Bogart in this, I think it's one of his best films.

Believe it or not, Cary Grant was first offered this role and he turned it down. Interesting right?

Dan thinks HB was too old for this role, what do you think? I think he was perfect.


Please go rent this one tonight. Everyone will love it. It's funny, romantic, stylish and uplifting.
Happy weekend everybody.

2 comments:

Jacque said...

Interesting that Dan felt that Humpy was too old because that is exactly how he felt too. But because he was contracted for that studio and he was their top dog, that is who they cast. Kinda different back then. I loved the movie but, I love William Holden so much is was hard for me not to root for him. Love your friday flicks by the way. I am an old movie nut myself...well I'm not old, just the movies ;)

Susan said...

The Harrison Ford version is pretty good, too.