Saturday, June 2, 2012

ZOE

She is here! And it has already been 6 weeks! I can't believe it. I won't bore you guys with all the details so I will write the quick version. If you don't care to know all about it, skip down to the Zoe photos...

Zoe Elizabeth Zimmer was born on April 22nd at 9:33 pm after 21 hours of labor. It was long, exhausting and stressful, but everything turned out great. I ended up delivering c-section because I couldn't progress past 8 centimeters.

I had great doctors and wonderful nurses who helped me get through it all.

I went into labor at 1:30 am that morning and my water broke about three hours later. Right as we were pulling out of the driveway! I wasn't expecting that at all. Around 6:45 I received an epidural. NOT a good experience. Local anesthetics don't last long with me so lets just say I "felt" a lot of that process. After a few tries by the anesthesiologist and a stronger numbing medicine it finally took. I felt much better about 30 minutes later.

I rested for the next 6 to 7 hours peacefully. I was progressing but very slowly. I started to feel some intense pressure and back pain around 3 pm. The anesthesiologist came back and upped my dosage significantly to lessen the pain. I felt much better but still wasn't any farther along. My doctor then started talking about delivering cesarean while both Zoe and I were healthy and had normal heart rates. Daniel and I had only a few minutes to decide. We decided to go ahead with it. It had been a long painful 16 hours and I was done. I was surprisingly calm about it all. Probably because I was so exhausted. Around 7 pm they started prepping me for surgery. I was still having contractions and my back pain from earlier that day was returning.

As the surgery began I was very sedated but awake, so much so that I didn't even know they had already opened me up! I remember asking the anesthesiologist when they were going to start and he just chuckled and said "um, they started awhile ago, Cat." He was really nice. He kept encouraging me and telling me to keep breathing. The medicine they gave me was slowing my breathing so he had to keep reminding me to breath.

About 20 minutes in, we heard a cry! She was here and we were relieved. They brought her around the curtain to me and I was able to meet her. We touched noses. Then she was swept off to see the doctors.

Hooray for modern medicine!

Now for the stuff you've been waiting for...


5 comments:

Jenn and Chris Rasmussen said...

She is beautiful and you look happy and great. My epi hurt like crazy too. The wort experience. When I had Kennedy I was most worried about getting another one. So this time around I got a spinal block.
Isn't motherhood the greatest feeling. How lucky are we to have them.

Susan said...

Zoe is beautiful! What a cute little family. Royal loved seeing you all.

BECKY said...

So happy! And six weeks... geez, time goes so dang fast!

Heidi and Robert said...

She's super cute! Glad all is well with you and your family.

abichristi said...

Oh Cat, she's precious and perfect and every ounce adorable! I'm so excited for you guys. Even though you have MUCH MORE IMPORTANT things to do, keep posting---I can't wait for more glimpses of little Zoe!